What’s the right particle for 曲がる (まがる)? I always thought it was ‘で’ but was always confused about whether ‘を’ was applicable. It turns out that either seems to be fine:


[Correct me if I’m wrong.]


  1. I think で is more common but を is probably grammatically correct. I also use で

  2. Oh, Japanese is difficult… even Japanese can’t explain this question accurately.
    I think…when we useで, The main point is ‘you’, ‘You’ turn right (at the corner). But を is a bit different. It emphasises ‘the corner’. (You turn right) at
    ‘the corner’. I heared that this sort of subtle meaning is distinguished by intonations in English, but Japanese don’t make such a difference of intonations. Instead of them, we use such subtle exchanges of grammatical words that at most time we ourselves don’t notice.

  3. I thought you can also say 「右に曲がって」 is that right?

  4. Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps で is easier for English speakers because it translates more directly – ‘turn right AT the corner’?
    Hiroki, that really is tricky to understand. What you say reminds me of other grammar explanations I’ve heard in the past.
    I think what you are saying Charmaine is the same as part of the example I gave. My question was about the particle to use following the word for the place where you turn, not following the direction word.